The momentum Pittsburgh’s craft beer scene has gained is something to behold and a lot of fun for all of us as craft beer enthusiasts. It’s practically impossible to turn a street corner in any given neighborhood these days and not have access to beers that shatter the long-standing stereotype of what “beer” truly is. Without question, Pittsburgh has become a craft beer town…one that more breweries from around the country are anxious to tap into.
The latest to stake their claim in Pittsburgh’s craft beer landscape is SweetWater Brewing Company. SweetWater, based in Atlanta, GA, is the southern United States’ largest craft brewery and is ranked among the nation’s top 20 craft breweries in sales by volume, according to the Brewer’s Association. Their growth is now stretching into the Steel City, with a bevy of new beers scheduled to flow through town the first week of June.
SweetWater Brewing Company lives by the motto “Don’t Float the Mainstream!” The award-winning lineup of year-round beers includes SweetWater 420, IPA, Blue, Take Two Pils, and Georgia Brown. SweetWater also features a catch and release series of beers available on a limited basis throughout the year and an experimental, one-time-only Dank Tank series.
Anyone who knows me is well aware of the fact that my favorite thing to pair with my beer is sentiment. While the drink itself is awesome, it’s the connections we make and experiences we have while consuming said drink that leads to stories and memories that last a lifetime. One time, while visiting Atlanta, my cousin invited me over to her house to chill on the deck and asked me what kind of beer I preferred. I told her to surprise me and dropped the hint that “something hoppy” would most likely make me happy.
The beer she picked up for me was SweetWater IPA. I got to enjoy a great beer while we caught up and reminisced, thus driving my theory home.
Now, SweetWater beers will be on tap at your favorite craft beer bars all over Pittsburgh to enjoy while you make your own memories. They have partnered with Frank B. Fuhrer Wholesale, Southwestern PA’s largest beer wholesaler, to ensure their wares are distributed at some of our top destinations for your drinking enjoyment. Keep your eyes peeled for SweetWater’s iconic rainbow trout tap handles at the bars, as well as bottles AND cans at your neighborhood beer distributor.
The lineup of SweetWater beers floating into town is solid, headlined by their flagship brew, 420 Extra Pale Ale. The rest of the list of offerings comes together as follows:
• 420 Extra Pale Ale – SweetWater’s 420 is a West Coast style pale ale with big hops and a crisp finish. First brewed on April 20, 1997, 420 is extremely well-balanced which makes it a perfect introduction to a new town – that’s why they say “drink ‘em if you got ‘em!” Rolling out in 6-pack bottles, 12-pack cans and draft.
• SweetWater IPA – This mammoth India Pale Ale (IPA) is dry-hopped to the gills delivering a kick-you-in-the-teeth hop chop. The brew is unfiltered to leave all the natural flavors intact. Rolling out in 6-pack bottles, 12-pack cans and draft.
• Waterkeeper Hefeweizen – A brew with a cause, this a go-to summer seasonal has notes of banana and clove and is perfect for sippin’ and grillin’ all season long. Rolling out late June in 6-pack bottles and on draft.
• Take Two Pils – A golden blonde German pilsner brewed with spicy floral hops and a head-first trip down the rabbit hole of lagers. Rolling out in 6-pack bottles, 12-pack cans and draft.
• Hop Hash – Made with pure hop lupulin (aka “hash”) from hop pelletizers, this double IPA is among the dankest out there, delivering a pungent punch to the palate. Rolling out in 6-pack bottles and on draft.
• SweetWater Blue – SweetWater Blue is a unique, lighter-bodied wheat ale enhanced with blueberries. This ain’t no fruit beer, but it’s perfect for hanging on a warm Pittsburgh day. Rolling out in 6-pack bottles.
• SweetWater Tackle Box – The SweetWater Tackle Box variety pack is a hefty 12-pack collection featuring three of SweetWater’s favorite year-round brews, along with a fourth catch and release seasonal specialty in each box.
Below is a list of scheduled SweetWater Tap Takeovers in the first week of June:
While we wind down May, you can get yourself ready for the SweetWater Pittsburgh launch by following their Pennsylvania Facebook Page. This page will keep you updated on sampling festivities and you’ll also find details on how to enter SweetWater’s “Catch a Trout Tap” contest. This fun contest will reward you for being the first to spot SweetWater’s trout tap handles with free SweetWater schwag!
Also, SweetWater will have a dedicated icon on PCBN Mobile leading up to and throughout the Pittsburgh launch where you can stay up-to-date on special events, tap takeovers, and more. Plus, we will be doing a live Over a Couple of Beers Podcast from the SweetWater Tap Takeover event at Caliente Pizza & Draft House on June 1st, the first day their brews will be available in town. More details on that to come…
Summer is just around the corner and it’s the perfect time for SweetWater Brewing to flow into Pittsburgh. Kick off the season with a freshly-tapped beer poured from a rainbow trout!
You can get social with SweetWater Brewing Company on Twitter and Instagram @sweetwaterbrew, and become a fan on Facebook too! To learn more about SweetWater Brewing Company and its full lineup, visit www.sweetwaterbrew.com