Happy New Year, boys and girls!
It’s a brand new beginning. Wipe the slate clean. Insert your favorite New Years cliche here.
2017 was an interesting year. Like any year, it had its ups, it had its downs, and it had its middle ground. With my birthday falling on December 29th every year, it had become tradition for me to reflect on the year that was and compile some thoughts into a blog feature for you to consume. I typically post this as a “thank you” for all of the birthday wishes I receive via Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, text, etc. This year, I did things a bit differently.
For starters, no blog post (and if you’re reading this and wished me a happy birthday via social media, I want you to know it did not go unnoticed and I thank you for it). This time, I grabbed a mid-December Friday and locked myself in the Carnegie Library with nothing but a pen and notebook and broke things down in every which way possible. Gains, setbacks, lessons, mistakes, failures, positive inroads forward and negative steps backward. I analyzed my year like I have never done and set a course for 2018 that I am eager to tackle. I have to say this self-analysis felt great and helped me realize what areas need the most attention, as well as what areas are exceeding expectations.
I’m not going to bore you with all the details except to say my wrist was throbbing once that session ended. But I will share my biggest takeaway and conclusion about Breaking Brews once the final T was crossed: You deserve more.
I know I’m biased, but I think of Breaking Brews as a resource that promotes education, event awareness, product knowledge, and connection to the information you as an adult beverage enthusiast desire. When I launched this site in 2014, my mission was to provide an approachable platform that educated visitors about craft beer and made them privy to what was unfolding around them. Nearly four years later, I’ve incorporated all adult beverages into the discussion because each carries with it its own relevance to our drinking culture, as well as a rabid fan base thirsty for knowledge.
And while thinking about the direction of Breaking Brews in that context, I concluded that more is needed to fortify these claims. You, as a loyal fan of this resource, deserve more connection to what’s happening in the libations world. You should feel confident knowing Breaking Brews will be delivering you everything you need/want to know and then some.
And that’s my mindset going forward: To make Breaking Brews the best damn libations resource I possibly can. That’s always been my focus, but my day in the library helped me find the hyperdrive button.
So, what can you expect in 2018? Here’s a preview:
- More Video – I know I’ve said this before, but now it’s time to shut up and just do it. Expect much more live video on the Breaking Brews Facebook Page. Also, The Word of the Poured Chronicles will be replacing the Breaking Brews Podcast by early February. All episodes of the podcast have been moved to the Breaking Brews YouTube channel in case you still want to listen and clips will be sampled from those shows for sharing when relevant. The WOTP Chronicles will be published in video form via Vimeo and YouTube, but will feature a mix of recorded audio interviews incorporated into the video broadcast. The Chronicles will also periodically go live on Faceboook.
- More Content – Much, much more content will be released from Breaking Brews, including new features like Event Savvy, which gives you pertinent information regarding events and happenings taking place in town. I’ll also be releasing more information about product releases and events surrounding said releases. We’ve also got a new wine feature coming your way courtesy of Angelica Ross and Syma Hajian of Pittsburgh Winery. And, I’ve started to build a product review page that is still on the bare side at the moment, but will feature new content regularly. Check it out here.
- A New Marketing Podcast – The aforementioned Angelica Ross and I are launching a new podcast called Decent Exposure come mid-January. This show will tackle online marketing, social media, content creation, Internet trends, proofreading your shit for Christ’s sake, and best ways to showcase your business in today’s critical, constantly-evolving landscape. Decent Exposure will air on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play Music, and on our respective blogs at angelicaross.co and jasoncercone.com.
- A New Weekly Newsletter – Get Breaking Brews in your inbox. Info about how to sign up for this weekly publication that will include content and access to specials and information found nowhere else coming soon…
- Less About The App – Breaking Brews is a mobile-friendly website and, in an effort to keep you connected to one primary resource, the Drink Pittsburgh Mobile App will be slowly phased out to make way for more event coverage and education to be shared on this platform. Events and business information will still be accessible via social media platforms in a more real-time fashion and the Breaking Brews Facebook Page will continue to be a go-to resource for info regarding events, venues, destinations, and more.
Breaking Brews is nearly four years old and, as far as I’m concerned, we’ve only just begun. Stay close in 2018 because, if I have anything to say about it, you won’t miss a damn thing.
Happy New Year.